Are you obsessed with streetsideFrankiesfbut are trying to eat healthy? Or are you looking for a yummy snack to pack for your kid’s lunchbox which is healthy and tasty? Why not Why not make Frankies with a twist? We are talking about making healthy and mouthwatering potato peas roll at home.
Look no further than these spicy potato peas rolls, which can be served with homemade dips and sauces. The best part about these rolls is that you can make them from leftover rotis.
Here is a step-by-step recipe which will help you whip up an amazing plate of potato and pea rolls in no time.
For the rotis
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Aashirvaad Atta
- Aashirvaad Salt
- ½ tsp ghee
- Oil for cooking
For the stuffing
- 2 cups boiled and mashed potatoes
- ½ cup boiled and mashed peas
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 Green chillies
- 1tsp chilli powder
- Chopped garlic
- Chopped ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Coriander for garnish
- Aashirvaad Salt to taste
For the rotis
- Add the all-purpose flour, Aashirvaad Atta, and salt into a large bowl. Add water little by little and knead the mixture until you get a soft and smooth dough. Add ghee to further soften the dough. Cover this bowl and keep the dough aside for at least 15 minutes before you make the rotis.
- Next, divide the dough into equal portions and form balls. Make sure that you dust your rolling pin and board before you make the rotis.
- Heat the tava and cook the rotis using little oil or ghee until you see golden brown spots on both sides of the rotis.
- A pro tip is to store these rotis in an insulated roti box to ensure that they stay warm for a long period.
For the stuffing
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and add turmeric, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Sauté this for a few minutes.
- Next, add garlic, ginger and green chillis to the pan and sauté them.
- Add chopped onion to the pan and sauté it nicely until it turns a gorgeous golden hue.
- Now, add salt, garam masala and chilli powder and sauté it for a few minutes.
- Finally, add your mashed potatoes and cook them nicely till they are evenly coated with the masalas.
- Then add the boiled and mashed peas into the pan and mix them well until they are coated with the masalas.
- A pro tip is to switch the flame to low heat and let it simmer for a few minutes before you turn off the flame.
- Add a generous amount of coriander leaves to your stuffing to make it taste delicious and refreshing.
- Let the stuffing cool down before you make the pea and potato rolls.
For the rolls
- Once you have the rotis and stuffing ready, you can make the pea and potato rolls.
- Spoon a generous amount of the stuffing and add it to one end of the roti and nicely roll up the roti to seal.
- Make as many rolls as you wish, and you can then place the rolls seam down on a plate.
- An expert tip is to always serve the pea and potato rolls and other similar Aashirvaad Atta recipes with a dollop of tomato ketchup, mango chutney or any other homemade sauces or dips of your choice.
- You can also cut the rolls into two or more pieces so that they are easy to serve on a platter or to slip into your kid’s lunchbox.
- Cheese lovers can also consider grating cheese to the stuffing and baking the rolls for 20 minutes to get crispy and cheesy pea and potato rolls.
Made with the goodness of whole wheat, vegetables and spices, these rolls are perfect refreshments for people who want to eat healthy but don’t have a lot of time to whip something fancy.
Homemade potato peas rolls are a crowd-pleaser and are a hit amongst kids and adults alike. These rolls don’t just please your taste buds but are also healthy and nutritious. Whether you are looking for an appetiser to serve during movie nights, game nights or afternoon tea parties, these rolls are a perfect pick for all kinds of snacking scenarios.
So, when are you treating your friends and family to a tasty plate of pea and potato rolls?